Author Topic: [WIP]Link's Awakening Coop  (Read 7590 times)

Offline Jeod

• MSN Messenger - jeodcripto@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SS+Jeod
    • View Profile
    • Email
[WIP]Link's Awakening Coop
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
A few weeks ago I had the insane idea to continue Link's Awakening Coop, since Infini and Porkchop stopped working on it. I figured why not, since I didn't do much to help out on OoT2D anyway, so it wouldn't be much of a bother. I concocted an elaborate scheme on how the game would work and showed it to one of my colleagues, link125. Here's a rough summary of it:

*Dungeons and Enemies modified to better reflect coop
*Minimap shows player locations
*Resources shared except for sword, shield, and life
*When one Link dies, a 30 second respawn timer appears; if all die before any respawn, game over (a-la FSA)
*Players login/register to a server where saved games are stored
*Saved games sorted by groups of players, where the player who started the game is admin
*Admin has power to erase game save, use certain chat console commands
*If a player disconnects during a game, a popup shows explaining the game won't be saved
*On loading a save, all players spawn at admin's spawn point
*Games must have 4 players to start (since it's online it won't be too difficult unlike FSA)

Needless to say, my partner liked it and we started building the engine and game. I dug my old Link's Awakening Remastered introduction coding and made some edits so it'd look good for this game. But enough of me blabbering, I know you all really only viewed this topic for the screenshots!

Screenshots
Engine Development
Game Intro at x1 size (320x288)
Game Intro at x2 size (480x432)
Game Intro at x3 size (640x576)

You guessed right if you saw that I had added in the ability for the user to adjust the resolution of the game. It's in the options menu, and the adjustments are proportional. I didn't keep the smallest size (160x144) because it messed up the scaling for the others.

More Screenshots
The Four Links
Marin Recolor

I didn't keep your original palettes, Xfixium, because I had a lot of trouble finding a good palette for the purple Link. Instead I pulled up the Palace of the Four Sword sheet from the gba lttp and recolored the Links using the "Dark Links" palette.

I plan on having achievements, where one will unlock a second color dungeon to allow the players to have both medallions.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:21:01 PM by Jeod »
A fangame is no less a game than the game it was based off of. If the fangame is decent or even better than that which it was based off of, then it is a game in its own right. It is a work of art created by a developer just like the original, despite being a derivative work.

Offline Jeod

• MSN Messenger - jeodcripto@yahoo.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SS+Jeod
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [WIP]Link's Awakening Coop
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 01:05:43 PM »
Here's a teaser for you guys: a small tech demo.

Z - Use item 1
X - Use item 2
Enter - Open menu
Arrows - Move

As of now the only items coded in are the sword and shield, which *should* work almost perfectly. Please notify me of any bugs!
A fangame is no less a game than the game it was based off of. If the fangame is decent or even better than that which it was based off of, then it is a game in its own right. It is a work of art created by a developer just like the original, despite being a derivative work.

Offline AdventureFox

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: [WIP]Link's Awakening Coop
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:02:21 AM »
I have encountered a frame of animation where when you tap on the block with your sword, Link will have one frame of where his sword is swinging behind him. It is very little but I would like to point that out.